[pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu May 1 19:24:50 AEST 2003

On 2003.04.30 11:43 Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> > Sounds like a funny bug?
> 	Yes, it does. A bug in the parsing. Why it does not affect
> all the lines is unknown.   Perhaps some trailing whitespace
> caused the parser to exhibit the bug.
Maybe I get some time at the VCFE to investigate this. (Showing
visitors "live hacking". ;-) )

> > But if I try to use /dev/ttyl1 I get a message about a unknown
> interrupt
> > and the output of /dev/ttyl1 hangs after the first character.
> 	What is the exact message?
Sorry don't know. I may be able to reproduce the error later. I got PSU
trouble when I wanted to do this yesterday...

> 	That would seem to indicate that the device is interrupting
> but not at the expected vector.
If I use a different vector (e.g. 404) it tells me that the vector is
wrong when booting. Maybe I can use a VAX with NetBSD for some
"probing"....
> > I have a M3106 DZQ11 that I can use instead.
> 	Definitely worth trying.
But when I was compiling the kernel with the new driver the machine
crashed. The PSU simply stoped working. :-((( It worked again when I
pulled all non-essential cards and the TK50. Maybe I overloaded the
PSU? Maybe I will need a new PSU soon? If everything fails I can use
the BA215 for the PDP-11. I have several spare PSUs for that box. But a
BA215 is not the "right", "contemporary" enclosure for PDP-11/73.
> I did the the same thing - wondered why I could never get a
> clean	file system.   Then I realized what was going on.
Nice to hear that I am not the only one who made that mistake. ;-)
--

tschüß,
           Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz