[TUHS] SCO vs. IBM: Eric Raymond striking a blow for ... something

Norman Wilson norman at nose.cs.utoronto.ca
Wed May 28 21:51:38 AEST 2003

Aharon Robbins:

  I just saw this:

	http://www.catb.org/~esr/nosecrets/

  This either Very Smart or Very Dumb, I'm not sure which.

I will just point out the recursive conflict when he says

  I can't talk about how this information will be applied, nor by
  who.  You'll have to trust me, or at any rate my record as
  ambassador to the community ...

I find it hard to take a secret No Secrets campaign seriously.
If I am to be used as an example of something or to promote some
cause, I think it's only fair that the campaigner tell me just
what he's up to first.

That such a campaign exists in the current context also sounds to
me like an admission that substantial parts of Linux were in fact
lifted directly from a licensed UNIX.  That that might be so seems
surprising; that someone would want to prove it was OK even more so.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON