[pups] History of 32-bit UNIX (was History of 2 BSD)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Nov 11 08:04:50 AEST 2003

On Monday, 10 November 2003 at 12:28:57 -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:
> Mario Premke:
>
>   but I wonder when the step from
>   16bit to 32bit was made in BSD.
>
> Michael Sokolov:
>
>   It was not made in BSD.  It was made at Ma Bell: the step from V7 to 32V (VAX
>   port of V7).
>
> You're a little late: researchers at Bell Labs ported UNIX to the 32-bit
> Interdata 8/32 in 1977.

To be fair, this had nothing to do with BSD.

> Others ported the system in those carefree days as well, in
> particular Richard Miller at the University of Wollongong, but I
> don't know much about the other efforts.

I believe the Wollongong port predated the one at Bell Labs.  Peter
Gray tells me he still has the original machine they used, and he'd
like to find a museum-like place to keep it.  No idea whether it
runs.  Greg Rose should know a lot more about this matter.  Greg, are
you out there?

Greg