[pups] ACMS (Australian 'puter museum) doomed?

robinb at ruffnready.co.uk robinb at ruffnready.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 20:27:28 AEST 2003

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:
> On 2003.11.13 00:06 Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> > Not to demean that effort, but don't the Germans have a Z4 still
> > working in a museum? That would mean something like 1942.
> 1942 would be the Z3, the first computer ever. The Z3 that is in the
> Deutsches Museum is AFAIK a rebuild of the original one. (Rebuild under
> the supervision of Konrad Zuse himself.) I don't know if the Z4 is still
> around. Google for "Konrad Zuse" and / or his son "Horst Zuse". Horst
> Zuse has put much effort in documenting the work of his father.
>
> I know that there is a Zuse Z23 in Karlsruhe. It was build in 1956,
> based on electron tubes, core and drum memory and it is still fully
> functional!
> --
I searched and found, very very interesting.  Zuse's statement that the Colossus team and himself had been going down similar paths sounds very much like Leibnitz and Newton over Calculus :-)

About 10 years ago I went into the National Air and Space museum in Washington and they had a wind from a Henschel guided missile from World War 2.  They stated that it was built using some of the first computer controlled plant and I always wondered what it was, well now I know.

Again, this is very interesting and I am astounded that it isn't widely known or advertised.

Robin