32V update (was Re: [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...)

Pat Villani patv at monmouth.com
Wed Nov 5 22:53:25 AEST 2003

I have my opinions about SCO, and what they're doing.  I don't think
we'll see any problems because this activity is down in the noise.  They
need to challenge Linux at the enterprise level.  It will be quite some
time, if ever, that 32V reaches that level of complexity in order to be
a threat.

For now, it's an exercise in nostalgia.  In 1980, a friend and I
investigated licensing unix for sale on 68K and 8086 based computers.
We couldn't raise the $68,000 source+binary license fee, so the project
died.  That was more than double my salary as an engineer at that time.

Now, 23 years later, I'm going to do a port to see how close my original
estimates are to reality.  After the initial port, who knows?

Pat