old SunOS (was Re: Heritage X (was Re: [TUHS] Lauch Gui using remotexterm!!))

Markus Weber jmbw at nather.com
Sat Nov 15 10:21:14 AEST 2003

> I was interested in running real SunOS on my real Sun3 and found it was
> available for no cost.
>
> Warren asked about a Sun3 emulator and I found a Sun2 one.  I was
> hoping to do
> trial SunOS installations on an emulator but it appears I'm ahead
> of my time.
> :)

I'd love to have a sun3 emulator for old time's sake.

After a bit of research, the sun3x architecture in general and the 3/80
model in particular look like the most straightforward choice. There are
several open-source choices for the CPU/MMU/FPU core and there appears to be
a decent amount of documentation and (driver) reference code to code the
emulation of the internal devices.

www.sun3arc.org and www.sun3zoo.de are a trip down memory lane, if for no
other reason than having known the folks running these sites and having had
an office on the floor where the servers appear to be physically located.

I don't know if it would be easier to modify or expand an existing emulator
for a box of similar complexity or starting from scratch, but in either case
it seems like a solvable problem. To finally drop the question, who would be
interested in working on such an emulator?

Cheers
-Markus
---