[TUHS] UNIX/32V

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 19 19:35:32 AEST 2003

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:20, Norman Wilson wrote:
> Wesley Parish:
>
>   I was wondering as well, are there any VAX assembler manuals online, in
> an easily-copyable form?
>
>   I've encountered html ones, but that isn't quite what I mean.
>
> What do you mean, then?  In what way isn't HTML suitable?
> I don't mean to be obstreperous; I just think it would be
> easier to help if you made it clearer what you need and
> what you don't.

I'm a bit more used to using PDF for that purpose, since PDF data resides in a
single file - ergo, easier downloads.

> To split hairs further, what do you mean by `VAX assembler
> manual'?  There's a paper named Assember Reference Manual
> that came in Berkeley's Volume 2C for 3BSD, written by
> Reiser (Bell Labs) and Henry (Berkeley); it is a compact
> description of syntax and pseudo-ops, but doesn't list or
> explain the VAX instruction set itself.

That would get me part of the way.

> The best reference I know for the VAX instruction set is
> the official DEC manual called VAX Architecture Reference
> Manual (EK-VAXAR-RM), but at more than 500 pages it is not
> easily-copyable even in the way we thought of copying when
> it was published, i.e. that depicted on the cover of the
> latter-day Lions book.

Does anyone have a pdf of it?  Or know where I could get a copy?

I know, I'll start googling for it right away.

Wesley Parish

> Norman Wilson
> Toronto ON

Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
Maku e ki, "He tangata, he tangata, he tangata."
I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."