[TUHS] Fwd: Helping in the battle against SCO

Norman Wilson norman at nose.cs.utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 11 09:59:07 AEST 2003

I don't see how any diffing we do will make any difference
`in the battle against SCO.'  If we find cases in which Linux
has incorporated System V licensed code, that will certainly
be meaningful; but if, as seems likely, we don't, SCO can
just say their tools are better than hours.  And besides, it
is SCO who have brought the complaint, so both legally and
ethically it's up to SCO to prove the case, not up to others
to disprove it, no matter what fearsome roars SCO emit.

Comparisons done by others are certainly interesting, and I
don't want to discourage anyone from doing them; just don't
expect it to make any difference to the lawyers.  (Not that
I'm one, of course.)

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON