[TUHS] Fwd: Helping in the battle against SCO

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri Sep 12 03:32:32 AEST 2003

On Wednesday, 10 September 2003 at 17:41:49 -0700, Andru Luvisi wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Norman Wilson wrote:
>> I don't see how any diffing we do will make any difference
>> `in the battle against SCO.'
> [snip]
>
> Some ways that I can see it being a good thing to do:
>
>   If SCO holds up a piece of common code and the good guys have no
>   response, that is bad.

Agreed.  That doesn't apply to either piece of code they've shown so
far.  This is http://www.lemis.com/grog/SCO/code-comparison.html
again.

>   If SCO holds up a piece of common code and the good guys already
>   know that it actually came from BSD, and are prepared to
>   demonstrate such, that is good.

That's the second example :-) The question I've asked SCO is: how
could you have missed the Berkeley license agreement at the beginning
of this file?  SCO have backed off claiming that this is System V
code, and claim it's just an example of their code comparison
techniques.  But on slide 15 of their presentation
(http://www.vangennip.nl/perens/SCOsource_Briefing_II.2.pdf), they
clearly claim that it's System V code.  This suggests that SCO have
recognized their error, though they haven't yet had the decency to
apologize to the BSD community.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key