[TUHS] Booting v6

Kenneth Stailey kstailey at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 23:16:03 AEST 2004

--- Bill Cunningham <billc_2 at charter.net> wrote:
>     I was looking through the old archives at the old UNIX Dennis Ritchie
> submitted. I would like to know how to boot this. I can't seem to compile
> the PDP emulator(s) with djgpp or a non-linux system.

Look on this page for the link that says "Windows executables"

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/

> I can with my linux.
> Dennis said this version of unix was compiled with assembly, then into C if
> I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken.  It's the other way around.  Traditional C compilers generate
assembly which is assembled into machine code object files which are linked
into an executable.

> Now the PDPs they were the machines with no monitors just
> printer tty type output correct?

Depends on the PDP you are talking about.  The term "Programmed Data Processor"
refers to a large number of different systems.  Some are a small as PeeCees and
others filled entire rooms.