[TUHS] Emulators

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Tue Aug 10 05:11:01 AEST 2004

> > to do it remotely. Are there any emulators, that are capable to run V5/6/7
> > or (better) 4.2BSD, and accessible by telnet or something like that?

As was pointed out, you dont get tcp/ip with v5/6/7.
4.2BSD does not run on the simh hardware, although you can
get quasijarus (4.3BSD) to run.

> > Additional thing I need is vi, any emulator that is capable of
> > running vi could make me happy!!!

You can run vi in quasijarus.

> 	- many users sharing the same instance: there's only one copy of
> the system and everybody logs-in on it, saves space, but takes more work.

You can't do this with v5/v6/v7 (at least with the pdp-11) since they
dont support the multi-serial card that simh emulates.  You only
get the console (which you can access over telnet if you configure
it so).

I don't remember if you can use the interdata32 port with multiple
ttys.

You can do this in quasijarus just fine, or even just run telnetd
on the emulated system itself.

Tim N.