[TUHS] Emulators

Sergey Lapin slapin at drevlanka.ru
Tue Aug 10 21:07:10 AEST 2004

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Tim Newsham wrote:

> > > to do it remotely. Are there any emulators, that are capable to run V5/6/7
> > > or (better) 4.2BSD, and accessible by telnet or something like that?
>
> As was pointed out, you dont get tcp/ip with v5/6/7.
> 4.2BSD does not run on the simh hardware, although you can
> get quasijarus (4.3BSD) to run.
I've got Quasijarus up and running on simh and experimented a lot with it.
Got some fun with learn(1) program, while ex lessons are quite nasty at
end :)

Well, but it is quite a resource hog comparing to V7.
So there are questions: is there vi for V7? I heard 1BSD, as set of
patches/software for V7, contains one, but I might be wrong...
Also, as for simh and Quasijarus:
Is it possible to run simh using tap or other virtual interface to forward
some
ports to Quazijarus's services?
The machine, I'll host this stuff on will be on colocation and policy
there is no MAC address changes and no promisceous mode interfaces and no
additional ethernet cards...

If that will work, I'll go write socket redirector program (to get free
consoles from one port using simh) :)

Also are there any ppp/slip software for V7 and 4.3BSD?
This way a problem could be solved other way around...

> > > Additional thing I need is vi, any emulator that is capable of
> > > running vi could make me happy!!!
>
> You can run vi in quasijarus.
The best could be have vi under V7 also.

> > 	- many users sharing the same instance: there's only one copy of
> > the system and everybody logs-in on it, saves space, but takes more work.
>
> You can't do this with v5/v6/v7 (at least with the pdp-11) since they
> dont support the multi-serial card that simh emulates.  You only
> get the console (which you can access over telnet if you configure
> it so).
Does V7 support several serial lines to put getty on? Does simh provide
such a hardware for it?

> I don't remember if you can use the interdata32 port with multiple
> ttys.
Will check that soon.

> You can do this in quasijarus just fine, or even just run telnetd
> on the emulated system itself.
I can't have dedicated ethernet card for it :(

Thanks a lot!!!

S.