[TUHS] is learn(1) free now?

Jos� R. Valverde jrvalverde at cnb.uam.es
Mon Jan 12 20:18:44 AEST 2004

Learn is free. At least it's author, some unherad of guy named Brian
Kernighan is making it publicly available on the Net through his
web page :-)

	http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/bwk/

It's been there for a long while.

I had a similar problem with novice users some years ago, and remembered
good old faithful 'learn' from Ultrix. I also remembered having compiled
it at some point in OSF/1. So I went to the net and started a search, and
lo! there it was at Brian's page.

I ported it to IRIX, which is where I had said novice users, and being at
it, to Linux as well. I must have the ported code somewhere but I'm on
Holidays now.

A look at AIX and Tru64 revealed it is still there in new versions of these,
which proved great for me: DWK code did not come with all the lessons I had
used before, and I could just copy the lessons from these systems over and
use them with the port.

Therefore, yes, it is free, it is available on the Net, I have already ported
it to modern systems, and the lessons are still distributed with
some commercial UNIX variants should you need them.

	These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first!

			    José R. Valverde

	De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural