[TUHS] Sys III - Yet Again

Pat Villani Pat.Villani at hp.com
Tue Jan 27 00:54:58 AEST 2004

It's a bit more complicated than that, so no one should rush out and claim that
System III is public domain.  Omission from this set of documentation does not
mean that no one owns it.  Instead, it means that the original owner still owns
it.  Whether that is AT&T, Unix Systems Labs, now defunct, or the lawful owners
of its assets, Lucent Technologies, Novell or SCO is uncertain, but there is an
owner.

In my opinion, the original asset purchase agreement and follow on amendments
were poorly written and do not address the actual ownership of intellectual
property.  It is my opinion that they have confused license to use and
distribute with ownership, i.e., copyright.  They would have done well to look
at book contracts and author agreements for a model.

Of course, that is my opinion, not that of HP or anyone associated with HP.  In
addition, I am not a lawyer and anyone affected by these matters should seek
legal counsel prior to taking any action.

Pat

--
Things could always be worse; for instance, you could be ugly and work in the
Post Office. -- Adrienne E. Gusoff