[TUHS] research unix

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Wed Oct 6 17:06:55 AEST 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 06:23:31PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> What has become of the various research unix releases after
> 7th edition?  Have any of these ever been released publically?
> Are any of them being archived for historical reasons?  Are any
> of the versions publically available now?

I'm sure that Norman Wilson will answer with a more definitive
answer, but...  2 reasons: there wasn't the concept of a "release"
with 8th, 9th or 10th Edition, they were purely internal
always-in-development systems. The other reason is that, as time
went on, more code from non-AT&T places was incorporated. It will
be difficult to get the clearance from all the copyright holders
to let a snapshot of any of these systems out.

	Warren