[TUHS] Mention TUHS in Linux Magazine (US)?

Jerry Peek jpeek at jpeek.com
Sat Apr 30 05:10:23 AEST 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:59:21 -0700, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> More power to you.  Just keep a sharp eye out for things that
> are touted as "new improved GNU features" that have been around
> since the days of 6th Edition or 7th Edition Unix.

Thanks for that wise advice, Carl.  I actually started on a VAX
running 4.1 BSD, so I'm not always clear about what's real. ;-)
I've been checking manpages online and trying to keep it straight.

While I'm at it, I wanted to say thanks to Tim Newsham for
reminding me of the paper "Program design in the UNIX environment"
(at http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/doc/84/kp.ps.gz) and to Dennis
for his home page (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/index.html --
which I found, BTW, on Tim's "Links" page).  Both of them have lots
of fascinating and useful info that took me way back from my GUI
GNU-ey ;-) environment.  I've sat here for a couple of hours,
reading and thinking.  I'll work this into my August column --
set off in a sidebar or some way to call attention to it.
Today's Linux users need to read and understand this stuff.
It was a great reminder for me.  Thanks again, everyone.

Jerry