[TUHS] Mention TUHS in Linux Magazine (US)?

Kurt Wall kwall at kurtwerks.com
Sat Apr 30 11:19:39 AEST 2005

On Friday 29 April 2005 15:10, Jerry Peek enlightened us thusly:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:59:21 -0700, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> > More power to you.  Just keep a sharp eye out for things that
> > are touted as "new improved GNU features" that have been around
> > since the days of 6th Edition or 7th Edition Unix.
>
> Thanks for that wise advice, Carl.  I actually started on a VAX
> running 4.1 BSD, so I'm not always clear about what's real. ;-)
> I've been checking manpages online and trying to keep it straight.
>
> While I'm at it, I wanted to say thanks to Tim Newsham for
> reminding me of the paper "Program design in the UNIX environment"
> (at http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/doc/84/kp.ps.gz) and to Dennis
> for his home page (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/index.html --
> which I found, BTW, on Tim's "Links" page).  Both of them have lots
> of fascinating and useful info that took me way back from my GUI
> GNU-ey ;-) environment.  I've sat here for a couple of hours,
> reading and thinking.  I'll work this into my August column --
> set off in a sidebar or some way to call attention to it.
> Today's Linux users need to read and understand this stuff.
> It was a great reminder for me.  Thanks again, everyone.

I quite agree. I started with some SVR3 UNIX but wound up using
Linux because it was free and worked with the hardware I had at
the time. It's a constant source of pleasure to work with the old
UNIX hands around my shop and learn what my roots are. I even
have some books around here with Jerry Peek's name on them... :-)

Kurt