[TUHS] licence of ditroff?

Aharon Robbins arnold at skeeve.com
Tue Feb 1 19:01:38 AEST 2005

> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:50:26 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Thorsten Glaser <tg at 66h.42h.de>
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] licence of ditroff?
> To: Aharon Robbins <arnold at skeeve.com>
> Cc: martinwguy at yahoo.it, miros-discuss at 66h.42h.de, tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
>
> Aharon Robbins dixit:
>
> >Instead of starting with 27 year old code, you'd be better
> >off taking the troff from http://www.swtch.com/plan9port.
>
> Thanks, that's a nice idea, but from what I experienced,
> the portability of recent AT&T/Bell/Lucent/whatever code
> is worse than the bugs in old code (eg. I could not get
> ksh93 to compile, something in there just dumped core;
> but then that's Unix, not Plan 9).

ksh93 is a different animal, from a different group, and problems
there are not surprising (sadly).

On the flip side, they do take bug reports seriously.

> >This is a port of many Plan 9 utilities to Unix.  The troff there
> >(a) has an explicit license that will probably do for the BSD people
>
> If it's the same licence as for 8c, then no, unfortunately.

I don't know.  It's worth double checking the current license; it
changed sometime in the past year or two.

The Plan 9 troff is certainly a descendant of the ditroff you
found, for whatever that's worth.

Arnold