[TUHS] licence of ditroff?

Thorsten Glaser tg at 66h.42h.de
Tue Feb 1 03:50:26 AEST 2005

Aharon Robbins dixit:

>Instead of starting with 27 year old code, you'd be better
>off taking the troff from http://www.swtch.com/plan9port.

Thanks, that's a nice idea, but from what I experienced,
the portability of recent AT&T/Bell/Lucent/whatever code
is worse than the bugs in old code (eg. I could not get
ksh93 to compile, something in there just dumped core;
but then that's Unix, not Plan 9).

>This is a port of many Plan 9 utilities to Unix.  The troff there
>(a) has an explicit license that will probably do for the BSD people

If it's the same licence as for 8c, then no, unfortunately.

>(b) already knows how to produce PostScript

That's a must for replacing the current oldroff (nroff).

>(c) can handle UTF-8 and 16-bit Unicode

That's pretty neat ;)

bye,
//mirabile