[pups] S.R.Bourne and the shell

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.u-net.com
Mon May 23 17:11:49 AEST 2005

On May 19 2005, 12:11, Andrew Lynch wrote:
> On May 19,  11:16pm, Pete Turnbull wrote:
> >
> > I've found a copy of the book "The Unix System" and I've had the
> > paper "An Introduction to the UNIX Shell" for 20 years, but I
thought
> > I'd seen a slim book by S.R.Bourne called "The UNIX Shell" or
something
> > of the sort.  However, Google, Bibliofind, etc have turned up
nothing;
> > has anyone seen this, or is my memory at fault once more?
>
> Are you possibly thinking of an article that appeared in the 1978
Bell System
> Technical Journal?

I probably am...

> This article is supposed to have also appeared in Volume 2 of the
UNIX
> Programmer's Manual - which would imply that it is the same as "An
Introduction
> to the UNIX Shell" (which is what my 7th Ed Manual contains).

Yes, that's in mine too.  I just thought the "slim book" had slightly
more in it, but perhaps that's because it has smaller pages, and
therefore the artice is spread over more of them.  I think our library
has a copy of the BSTJ, so I can check.

Someone emailed me off-list with a URL for an HTML-ised version;
thanks, but I have a real 7th Edition Manual with that paper, as well
as the troff source on my (original) 7th Edition distro.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager