[pups] "/unix is not the running version." ??

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Thu Nov 3 14:40:25 AEST 2005

Guys,

  Thanks for the help with my dzq11 problem - I'm glad to see that there are
still people around running PDP-11 Unix.  Now that I've actually started
using my 11/73, I've run into several things that I just don't know how to
fix.

  Like this one - I built a non-networking kernel (my normal /unix kernel
has DEQNA and TCP/IP support) using the NONET example that comes with
2.11BSD.  No particular problems there.

  Since I don't actually want to overwrite my /unix file, I can't use "make
install" to install the nonet kernel, and so I just say "cp unix /nonet" and
then chmod /nonet to set the protections.  This might have been my mistake,
but I don't know any other way to do it without trashing my real /unix
kernel.

  To boot the nonet kernel, at the ":" boot prompt I type "nonet".  All is
well until we get up to init, and then it says

	autoconfig: /unix is not the running version
	init: configuration setup error

And then I'm stuck in single user mode with no devices configured.  Not
especially useful.

  Is my mistake in just "cp"ing the nonet kernel, or is there some
limitation on booting files other than /unix?

Thanks again,
Bob Armstrong