[TUHS] Redoing "V6on286" or porting V7...?

Peter Jeremy peter.jeremy at alcatel.com.au
Tue Nov 15 05:49:47 AEST 2005

On 2005-Nov-14 10:45:13 -0500, Brantley Coile <brantley at coraid.com> wrote:
>> This is fairly wasteful of RAM.  Keep in mind that V6 cannot page -
>> a process is either entirely in memory or entirely on disk.  If you
>> limit yourself to 640K RAM, you are probably restricting yourself
>> to about 6 resident processes.  And swapping means moving 64K of
>> data to/from disk.
>
>true, but your numbers are a bit off.  640k / 64k = 10 not 6.

I realise that.

>  the kernel will take only 2, so you should have 8.

I was assuming split I+D, with the data segment fixed at 64K.  This
means that you have (64K + code) per process.  If you have code plus
data in 64K then you can fit more, but I think that was getting to
be a squeeze even on V6.  (And would definitely write off something
like 2BSD).

>the mit x86 stuff would be where i'd start.  i haven't looked to see
>if you need to tweak the assignment operators to avoid having
>to s/=+/+=/, but it might already be done.

Given an open-source compiler, it would be fairly easy to retrofit the
=+ operators into the lexer.  (Probably easier than cleaning up the
code).  The alternative is to start with something later (eg 2BSD) but
code quality then becomes far more of an issue (because 2BSD tends to
push the I-space limits in lots of areas).

>it's all 16 bit stuff: port of PCC, assembler and loader.

The x86 instruction set and registers are nothing like as regular and
orthogonal as the PDP-11.  In particular, there are _no_ general
purpose registers - every register has has a particular purpose and
either you need to do data-flow analysis to work out what register to
load something into, or you (basically) give up and load from memory
as needed.  You could port PCC but this would be much more difficult
than (say) a M68K port.  You'd probably need a fairly decent peep-hole
optimiser to get good results.

Wesley Parish mentioned bcc and OpenWatcom.  I looked into the former
and it's probably the best starting point (though, with due respect to
BDE, the code it generates could be better).  Assuming that Unix fits
into the C subset implemented by bcc, you'd be better off spending the
effort on improving bcc than porting PCC.  At the time I looked,
OpenWatcom was either still vapourware or not self-hosting.

>an enjoyable discussion.  wish i had time to work on it.

Agreed.

--
Peter Jeremy

This email may contain privileged/confidential information. You may not copy or disclose this email to anyone without the written permission of the sender.  If you have received this email in error please kindly delete this message and notify the sender.  Opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily the opinions of the employer.

This email and any attached files should be scanned to detect viruses.  No liability will be accepted by the employer for loss or damage (whether caused by negligence or not) as a result of email transmission.