[pups] NEXTSTEP etc. [was: Bob's emulator and ultrix]

Milo Velimirovic milov at uwlax.edu
Thu Apr 20 23:20:06 AEST 2006

Begin forwarded message:

[snip]

> On 4/18/06, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
>>      [ Please reply to Bill if you can, I don't know if he's on
>> the list ]
>>
>> ----- Forwarded message from Bill Cunningham <billcu1 at verizon.net>
>> -----
>>
>> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:32:27 -0400
>> From: "Bill Cunningham" <billcu1 at verizon.net>
>> Subject: Bob's emulator and ultrix
>> To: <wkt at tuhs.org>
>>
>> I can't get the sim 2.3d to boot ultrix 3.1 or xenix or anyother
>> boot tapes
>> in the uhs's archive. I have compiled the pdp11 emulator with
>> gcc-3.4.6. I
>> am also interested in the OS Tim Berners-Lee used to write his first
>> browser. VMS on a VAX machine I have read. Is there anything like
>> this in
>> the archive? A VAX emulator and VMS OS?
>
> Tim Berners-Lee developed what became the WWW, server and browser, on
> a NeXT computer running the NeXTstep OS.  There is not a whole lot of
> public knowledge about the internals of the NeXT hardware, which makes
> it difficult to write an emulator for it.
>
> There is a slowly progressing effort to port NetBSD to NeXT hardware.
> Also, the last few releases of NeXTstep and OpenStep would run either
> on NeXT hardware or selected x86 hardware.

NEXTSTEP 3.3 & OpenStep run on NeXT's m68k, x86, and on HP/Apollo 700
series HPPA workstations and on several SUN SPARCstation models.

I own an HP735 that runs NS3.3 quite nicely.

>   Somewhere there is a
> writeup covering the subject of running OpenStep on the VMware virtual
> machine.

This is a close but not quite the same thing article:
http://iamleeg.blogspot.com/2006/04/so-heres-full-system-networking-
is.html

--
Milo Velimirović                            <milov at uwlax.edu>
Unix Computer Network Administrator            608-785-6618 Office