[TUHS] gcc-3.4.6 and old unix

Jose R Valverde txomsy at yahoo.es
Tue Apr 25 04:01:43 AEST 2006

>   I am running linux and I want to devote a
partition to a good working
>old version of linux v5,6, or 7. I have Bob's
simulator and it works great.
>The thing is when I boot v7_rk05_1145 or v7_rl02_1145
which is I believe
>Dennis's donations I don't know how to log out of the
system. I also want to
>make a filesystem for unix and I don't know how to do
that with a pdp-11
>emulator. I want the source so it can be generated
too.

Gasp! I think you have a number of things wrong that
need correction.

First, now what LINUX stands for? Linux Is Not UniX.
Yep, that's it!

While it is true that LINUX is not UNIX, it is similar
enough. It was designed to be a substitute for UNIX,
and is good enough at it that one could argue it fully
behaves as a UNIX now (which would be tantamount to
saying it is UNIX, though it hasn't passed X/Open
certification).

Then, what's in the archive are not old versions of
LINUX, but of UNIX. In the sense UNIX predates and
sheds the field for LINUX you could think of them as
LINUX antecessors, although there is no shared code or
lineage among them.

What you do when you "boot" the old versions within
SIMH is run an ancient UNIX inside a program that
emulates (behaves as) an old computer. You are not
booting your computer. You are booting a virtual old
computer.

Then, to shut down an old machine, UNIX 6 or 7 you
would simply 'sync' the disks (to ensure all temporary
data was saved)and power down the machine. Or at least
interrupt it to the console monitor. Under SIMH you
can "interrupt" or stop the machine by pressing ^E
([Ctrl] + [E], both pressed at the same time). This
will stop the emulation (sort of as if you had turned
off the old machine) and take you to the SIMH command
prompt. Once there simply type in "quit" and you are
out.

Under system 7 you start in single user mode. You can
go to multi-user status by typing ^D. Then you can
login and out as usual. And stop the machine as
described above ('sync' a couple of times as root and
press ^E).

Regarding the filesystem, you don't need a partition.
SIMH being an emulator and the machine (PDP11)
virtual, everything is virtual. So, what you need to
add more space is to add another disk. Not to *your*
machine, but to the virtual machine, and not a real
disk, but a virtual disk. I.e. a file on your *real*
filesystem that you will treat as a virtual disk. Then
attach it to the virtual PDP11 using the SIMH "attach"
command (this would be tantamount to connecting the
virtual wires of the virtual disk to the virtual
computer). See the manual of SIMH for more details.

As for formatting the disk, see the manual pages. I've
got the kids in the bath now and can't type more, but
this should be enough to clear up your mind.