[TUHS] Bellmac-32 and WE32000 and self-virtualization?

Derek Peschel dpeschel at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 26 05:45:17 AEST 2006

First off, isn't it true that both these chips are the same or similar?

A short conference paper on the Bellmac-32 caught my eye because it
mentioned the various data structures the Bellmac keeps in memory,
such as process and interrupt control blocks.  I'v become interested in
self-virtualizing CPUs (one well-known example being the IBM System/370
and up, running VM) and I wondered if the data structures make the Bellmac-32
a good candidate for self-virtualization.  They are not tied to particular
addresses and a supervisor could inspect and alter its caller's data.

I'm still trying to get my head around the theory.  So the manuals would
be interesting, but details about actual implementations would be even
more interesting.  Perhaps MERT is relevant to this discussion.

Thanks,

-- Derek