[pups] bitsavers document

dmr at plan9.bell-labs.com dmr at plan9.bell-labs.com
Thu Jun 15 13:33:22 AEST 2006

Martin Lovick remarked,

 > whilst looking around the bitsavers.org pdf archive, I
 > found a document called
 > PreliminaryUnixImplementationDocument_Jun72.pdf.
 > Having had a quick scan through, it contains a source
 > code listing and some commentary (lions i hear you
 > say). The strange thing is that all of the source code
 > appears to be in assembler...

 > whats this about?

 > is it a comentary of PDP-7 unix?

It is a fairly early version, with commentary, of PDP-11 Unix (the kernel),
indeed still in assembler.  It is an interesting find, probably
the earliest version yet unearthed.  Kossow told me about
it when he did (or got) the scan of the document.

I can't remember receiving it at the time.

It is clearly different from what we in the research
group were running at the time--it has devices we didn't have,
and I think by then we were on the 11/45.

	Dennis