[pups] Major/minor device numbers and device names for MSCP drives?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Jun 19 16:57:33 AEST 2006

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:15:52 -0700
"Robert Armstrong" <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:

>  But what if I have a second MSCP controller?
/dev/ra1a is still (5,8). The disks are numbered in the same order as
they are found. (Modulo devices that are "nailed down" in the kernel
config file.) This is independent of the controler they are connected
to. Some years ago I used a MSCP ESDI disk controller and in addition a
MSCP SMD disk controller to connect two disks to my PDP-11/73 and IIRC
the SMD disk showd up as /dev/ra1[a-h].

At least this is "the generic BSD way". 2.11BSD may be a bit different
due to its age.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen