[TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 31, Issue 9

Berny 'Scouser' Goodheart berny.goodheart at myrealbox.com
Thu May 25 07:35:35 AEST 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006, 19:38:21 -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

>But the point being made was that I've been around the block, I've worked
on and/or looked hard at many different Unix variants and I'm not at all sad
to see them go.

Why are you here then?

It's a fact that many of the big-gun Unix vendors have moved on but Unix

development continues to persist, so don't put it down yet. Unix is still

very much alive and kicking. Unix has been around forever and the Unicies

that remain still offer enough diversions to mix up the market and make

things interesting for us all. If Linux was the only Unix like system out

there then what would happen if Linux went belly-up. It could easily

happen if the big Linux vendors Redhat, Suse etc went to the dogs. Having

other Unix systems out their competing with each other as well as Linux is

healthy.