[TUHS] Open Sourcing IRIX?

Michael Kerpan madcrow.maxwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 00:41:37 AEST 2006

As I said, IRIX itself is nothing but an obsolete kernel. It might be
cool for preservation purposes to have the code (and that's what TUHS
is all about) but as a practical solution, I'm not really sure. SGI
has already opened up a lot of their best stuff (XFS, OpenGL, Inventor
(a sinfully under-used high level layer on top of OpenGL) The main
thing they haven't opened up is their Desktop. It's really a far
superior Motif-based system than CDE (the look, for example is so
well-modified that it doesn't even have that archaic Motif-y look) and
an open source version of the IRIX desktop layered on top of Linux (or
*BSD) would really go a long way towards producing a usable AND
attractive Unix-like for lower-end systems.

Any idea of the odds of at least the IRIX Desktop being opened up?