[TUHS] original vi under Linux?

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Wed Nov 29 05:42:24 AEST 2006

> Hi. Has anyone managed to compile a version of the original BSD vi under
> Linux?  I'm looking from something from the 4.3 to 4.4 vintage sources.

Have you tried http://ex-vi.sourceforge.net ??  The README states:

  Welcome to the ex/vi port!
  ==========================

  This implementation is derived from ex/vi 3.7 of 6/7/85 and the BSD
  termcap library, originally from the 2.11BSD distribution. All of them
  were changed to compile and run on newer POSIX compatible Unix systems.
  Support for international character sets was added, including support
  for multibyte locales (based on UTF-8 or East Asian encodings), and some
  changes were made to get closer to the POSIX.2 guidelines for ex and
  vi. Some issues that were clearly bugs and not features have also been
  resolved; see the Changes file for details.

I haven't tried building it on Linux, but they claim wide platform
portability

--lyndon

   [This firm] is the only company that's shipping end-user networking
   software that conforms to OSI standards. The OSI stamp is important
   because it assures corporate users that the networking software will
   easily connect to other vendors systems and software.
   			-- pyramid!csg via r.h.f.