[TUHS] Two matters, two questions

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Fri May 11 19:43:58 AEST 2007

Thanks everybody for your replies.  I've downloaded the rdb and NoSQL and will
have a look at them.  Now I'm off to look at comp.sys.prime and
alt.os.multics!

Again, thanks

Wesley Parish

On Thursday 10 May 2007 23:42, Wesley Parish wrote:
> I've just finished reading Peter Salus' "A Quarter Century of Unix", and
> this time round, I was brought up short by the comments on Prime, Primos
> and The Software Tools.
>
> Has anyone done a simulator/emulator of the Prime?  (I must confess, a
> hardware architecture that's described as a cross between a GE-645 and the
> Intel 80286, not only intrigues me, it also makes my toes curl. ;)
>
> Has anyone attempted to get a copy of PrimOS for such a simulator/emulator?
> And if one was to attempt such a feat, where would one go?
>
> And Spafford says, commenting on Prime's version of Software Tools, that
> the final release was into the public domain.  Is it still extant?  Has
> anyone seen hair or hide of the creature?
>
> That's the first matter/question.  The second one is to do with /rdb, which
> a quick search on Google informs me, was written by Walter V. Hobbs of Rand
> Corp., and was placed in the public domain.  It apparently is at:
> ftp://ftp.rand.org/pub/RDB-hobbs
> but I can't get through to it.
>
> Is there any copy of it extant at some site where I can get through to it?
> (I'm aware there is a software publisher that sells a more up-to-date
> version of it, but I'd like to play with the original  and bring it up to
> date myself ;)
>
> Thanks
>
> Wesley Parish

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?