[TUHS] SunOS 4.1.1?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Sep 22 03:14:35 AEST 2007

In message: <102AD3A8-168F-4407-9FA1-86CB2B97A198 at tfeb.org>
            Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> writes:
: On 21 Sep 2007, at 15:58, John Cowan wrote:
:
: >
: > The best available story for the Sun3 code is that Sun doesn't
: > object to non-commercial use (which certainly is not the same
: > as an open source license).
:
: I'm assuming that the source isn't available at all (I wonder if Sun
: still have it?)

SunOS for the Sun3 machines was derived from BSD 4.2 with a lot of
code from other places.  BSD 4.2 requires an AT&T license because
there is still AT&T code in it.  As such, open sourcing it would be
difficult at best.

Based on what friends that work at sun tell me, the source can still
be obtained internally if necessary...  I never pressed them for
details on the rather curious way they put it (like I did just now).

Warner