[TUHS] SunOS 4.1.1?

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Sat Sep 22 19:32:46 AEST 2007

On Saturday 22 September 2007 08:58, Bill Pechter wrote:
> On 9/21/07, M. Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> > In message: <9552c7c8500326acee33a5cbe54df693 at coraid.com>

<snip>
> > It is unclear to me if Sun could retroactively apply the Ancient Unix
> > license or not given the code's derivation history.  I don't know what
> > their specific agreements with AT&T stipulate.  Again, another topic
> > for research, unless Novell is willing to grant a waver.
> >
> > Warner
> >
> > : > In message: <102AD3A8-168F-4407-9FA1-86CB2B97A198 at tfeb.org>
> > : >
> > : >             Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> writes:
> > : > : On 21 Sep 2007, at 15:58, John Cowan wrote:
> > : > : > The best available story for the Sun3 code is that Sun doesn't
> > : > : > object to non-commercial use (which certainly is not the same
> > : > : > as an open source license).
> > : > :
> > : > : I'm assuming that the source isn't available at all (I wonder if
> > : > : Sun still have it?)
> > : >
> > : > SunOS for the Sun3 machines was derived from BSD 4.2 with a lot of
> > : > code from other places.  BSD 4.2 requires an AT&T license because
> > : > there is still AT&T code in it.  As such, open sourcing it would be
> > : > difficult at best.
> > : >
> > : > Based on what friends that work at sun tell me, the source can still
> > : > be obtained internally if necessary...  I never pressed them for
> > : > details on the rather curious way they put it (like I did just now).
> > : >
> > : > Warner
<snip>
> Ah well,  when the Novell SCO stuff winds down perhaps the folks from Utah
> will OpenSource it. (my second guess is sell it to Sun)

Well, FWIW, I asked them last year in relation to OSF/1 and the requirement
for an AT&T license, and I got a reply from Bill Dunford.  I think the best
thing to do would be to approach (semi-officially) the relevant companies and
ask (politely ;).

Wesley Parish

This is my email and the reply:
Hi Wesley,

I have no immediate answer to this, but I've directed your question to
people who will be able to respond. If for some reason you don't find
out what you're looking for, please let me know.

Bill

>>> Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz> 07/23/06 11:01 PM >>>
Hi.

I understand that Novell's background actions helped The Unix Heritage
Society
preserve and distribute the Ancient Unix and *BSD code, by permitting
the Santa
Cruz Operation to waive the System V license requirement in the
earlier
pre- 4.4BSD- Lite BSD distributions.

I'm interested in getting hold of the OSF/1 June 1994 source code
release for
The Unix Heritage Society, being a member of that amorphous body.  I
have been
informed by the Open Group that it requires the OSF/1 licensee to have
a System
V license.

Would it be possible for Novell at some stage, maybe when this farce
with The
SCO Group has run its course, to direct the Open Group to waive the
System V
license requirement for OSF/1?

Thanks

Wesley Parish

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?