[Unix-jun72] assembling ux.s

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Tue Apr 29 16:31:01 AEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 03:33:25PM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> I am trying out apout using the "1972_stuff" binaries.  When using
> "as" to assemble "ux" (e10-01 through e10-02) it gives an error
> "m 0024" (multiply-defined label) for the line:
>
>      mount:    .=.+1024.
>
> I assume this is because the assembler has predefined the "mount"
> system call (I ran across this earlier when using my system call
> table sys.s with ux with the v7 assembler).

It does look like this is the case. The manual says that syscall names
are pre-defined, and in these source fragments from 1972, you can see
that as definitely knows about mount and open:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixTree/1972_stuff/s1/frag37.html
http://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixTree/1972_stuff/s1/frag22.html

I've sent an e-mail to Dennis to see if he can remember what the procedure
was to rebuild the kernel from the assembly source.

Cheers,
	Warren