[TUHS] Whence 1st Edition Unix Kernel Assembly?

Milo Velimirovic milov at uwlax.edu
Fri Apr 25 04:44:37 AEST 2008

I'd vote against. The MO disks and drive in my NeXT no longer work.
(of course if anyone has advice for resuscitating MO devices, I'm all
ears.)

  - Milo

On Apr 24, 2008, at 1:15 PM, ckeck at texoma.net wrote:

> What about magneto-optical disks? They are supposed to last 50 years.
> Problem is that one would have to not only hold on to the disks, but
> also
> the drives, as well as a system with a SCSI I/F.
>
> -Cornelius
>
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Tim Newsham wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:30:58 -1000 (HST)
>> From: Tim Newsham <newsham at lava.net>
>> To: Michael Kerpan <madcrow.maxwell at gmail.com>
>> Cc: tuhs at tuhs.org
>> Subject: Re: [TUHS] Whence 1st Edition Unix Kernel Assembly?
>>
>>> I guess we need to start archiving all software on acid-free
>>> archival
>>> paper, then. It's the only way it'll survive.
>>
>> And not necessarily in human readable form -- how about some format
>> that is very easy to ocr with minimal errors and error correcting
>> codes?
>>
>> ps: how many pages to archive a gigabyte of src code? ;-)
>>
>> Tim Newsham
>> http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/
>>

> --
> Cornelius Keck -----------------------------------------> ckeck at texoma.net

Milo Velimirović,  Unix Computer Network Administrator
608-785-6618 Office -  608-386-2817 Cell
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601 USA   43 48 48 N 91 13 53 W
--
Unix: Where /etc/init is job #1.