[TUHS] Whence 1st Edition Unix Kernel Assembly?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Fri Apr 25 07:39:17 AEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 07:30:58AM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
>> I guess we need to start archiving all software on acid-free archival
>> paper, then. It's the only way it'll survive.
>
>And not necessarily in human readable form -- how about some format
>that is very easy to ocr with minimal errors and error correcting codes?

PGP successfully did this (primarily to work-around US crypto laws):
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=7024

Archiving digital data is actually a major problem: Not only do you
need to be able to physically read the media but you need to be able
to interpret the bits that you read.  This probably means access to
the software that was used to create it (more data to archive) running
on the relevant OS (yet more data) and hardware (you might be able to
emulate this if someone archive a good-enough description).

--
Peter Jeremy