[pups] PDP-11 / vacuum tube interface

Kevin McQuiggin mcquiggi at sfu.ca
Wed Dec 10 15:02:08 AEST 2008

How about using the pdp-11 to decode Morse code transmissions that you
receive on your vintage radio?  This would eliminate any issues with
interfacing to HV circuits, as you could simply run the radio's audio
output through a PLL circuit to detect tone/no tone and then read this
single bit signal on the pdp-11.  You decode the Morse code in
software.  I have code for you (in an old version of Pascal) if you'd
like.  It adapts to the Morse code speed automatically and "catches
up" to changes in Morse speed in about 5 letters maximum, as I
recall.  From an undergrad project I completed in the late 1970s!  I
could also dig out the hardware info.  Then again you might have more
fun reinventing this yourself!

Kevin