[TUHS] Banyan Vines? Banyan/ePresence dissolves self

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 31 18:35:51 AEST 2008

I was reading Graklaw for more-of-the-same - boneheaded companies taking on
productive people with intent to reduce dangerous productivity in favour of
monopolizing transaction tokens ie, money - and I came across the article on
some_bright_spark suing some other company for daring to try protecting
networks from email-borne spam:

Which got me thinking - Banyan Vines was a player back then, and the comments
mentioned only Novell.  Surely there's something about Banyan's Vines?

I did a google search and found this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/masshightech/stories/2007/12/24/daily7.html?ana=from_rss
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Liquidating ePresence distributes cash
Mass High Tech: The Journal of New England Technology
<snip>

 Framingham's ePresence Inc. reports a plan to distribute cash to its
shareholders as part of its dissolution plan.
 The distribution of $3.6 million, or 14 cents per common share, is expected
to be paid this week to those who were ePresence shareholders as of June 23,
2004. The distribution, combined with the previous distributions totaling
$4.15 per share, would return a total $4.29 per share to ePresence
shareholders, company officials said.
 EPresence was launched in 1983 as Banyan Systems, selling a network operating
system and directory. But competitors such as Novell Inc. and Microsoft Corp.
subsequently moved into that market and Banyan switched focus in 1997.
 In 2003, ePresence sold it services business to Unisys Corp. for $11.5
million. In 2004, the company sold its online telephone directory division
Switchboard Inc. to Bellevue, Wash.-based InfoSpace Inc. for $160 million.

Who would one need to get in touch with, to ask about the possibility of
getting the various obsolete Banyan Vines bits and pieces donated to TUHS?
(It was based on a Unix kernel, so I would say it - one of the first NOSes to
have a directory - should be part of the TUHS repository.)

Thanks

Wesley Parish

-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?