[Unix-jun72] svn changes?

Milo Velimirovic milov at uwlax.edu
Fri May 2 01:31:58 AEST 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 9:25 AM, Hellwig Geisse wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 09:04 -0400, Brad Parker wrote:
>> Via email I asked Tim about EAE support in simh, since apout has it
>> and
>> the code claims he added it to simh, but I can't find it.
>
> Wasn't this called the "EIS" option? If I remember
> well, simh enabled that by default if you choose the
> CPU to be an 11/40.

No... EIS is not the same as EAE, though simh does include EIS in its
11/40 configuration.

 From memory:

EAE is the "Extended Arithmetic Element" which provided multiply,
divide and shift capabilities through registers in the I/O space.
See Dennis Ritchie's "Odd Comments and Strange Doings in Unix" the
pertinent item is "A hardware story" at the the end of the document,
cached here: <http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Cp9qctiIuLcJ:www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/odd.html+dmr+eae&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us
 > (It seems the link provided by Google to dmr's website is down...)

EIS is the Extended Instruction Set, which on the pdp11/40 (and lsi11)
went hand in hand with FIS, the Floating Instruction Set.

See a pdp11 processor handbook for all the details.

--
Milo Velimirović,  Unix Computer Network Administrator
608.785.6618 Office -  608.386.2817 Cell