[TUHS] Wikipedia for Unix?

Jim Capp jcapp at anteil.com
Sat Jun 6 11:29:53 AEST 2009

Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 02:40:00PM -0400, Jason Stevens wrote:
>
>> I don't know I may be just dreaming in the sense I figure I'd probably
>> end up with something just as empty, but would people be willing to
>> put forth some kind of wiki of antidotes of their usage of various
>> Unix on platforms?
>>

> Jason's e-mail gave me an idea. There's a website somewhere where some
> of the Mac developers captured anecdotes of the development of the Mac.
> How about a wiki-like website for Unix, which is a combination of an
> anecdote Wiki and a Wikipedia-for-Unix?
>
> The site could capture stories, technical documentation, historical
> summaries, usage tips etc. Where possible, articles would have citations,
> but the site should allow the storage of primary documents too, e.g.
> e-mails and old Usenet articles.
>
> I'd suggest that editing isn't open to the general public, but either by
> invitation or vetting. A group of people would be needed to watch out for
> seriously bad articles/editing. At the same time, Unix history has been
> very diverse and there has always been lots of opposing sub-groups, so
> the site would need to be able to capture & deal with this diversity, as
> would the people overseeing the site.
>
> Comments?
> 	Warren

Warren,

    Have you followed Groklaw?  Years ago, we put together a simple
database to capture information on UNIX, books, technical papers, etc.,
for Groklaw.  It is still running to this day:

http://groklib.anteil.com/books/basic_list

It has a permanent spot on Groklaw's left hand menu ...
http://www.groklaw.net

We have physical and virtual servers located in a colo-center with dual
10-meg fiber to 8 N. Broad St. in Philadelphia.  The site has battery
and generator backup.

Cheers,

Jim