[TUHS] Wikipedia for Unix?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sat Jun 6 13:12:27 AEST 2009

On Saturday,  6 June 2009 at  9:30:40 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 02:40:00PM -0400, Jason Stevens wrote:
>> I don't know I may be just dreaming in the sense I figure I'd probably
>> end up with something just as empty, but would people be willing to
>> put forth some kind of wiki of antidotes of their usage of various
>> Unix on platforms?
>
> Jason's e-mail gave me an idea. There's a website somewhere where some
> of the Mac developers captured anecdotes of the development of the Mac.
> How about a wiki-like website for Unix, which is a combination of an
> anecdote Wiki and a Wikipedia-for-Unix?

This is an excellent idea.  Count me in, and count a vote for
Mediawiki while you're at it.

> I'd suggest that editing isn't open to the general public, but
> either by invitation or vetting. A group of people would be needed
> to watch out for seriously bad articles/editing. At the same time,
> Unix history has been very diverse and there has always been lots of
> opposing sub-groups, so the site would need to be able to capture &
> deal with this diversity, as would the people overseeing the site.

I'm in two minds about this.  On the one hand, it makes perfect sense.
On the other, part of the advantage of things like Wikipedia is that
everything's in one place.  I honestly don't see the TUHS people being
active enough to produce anywhere like as much material as is already
present on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia has various "projects" which concern themselves with certain
subtopics (or they had them; looking at various pages, I can no longer
see any hints).  Does anybody know more details?  If we could find a
way to get a few knowledgeable, active people to ensure the
consistency and accuracy of UNIX-related articles, that could be a
better approach.

Greg
--
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft MUA reports