[TUHS] Uwisc4.3 question...

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 21:00:55 AEST 2009

Yeah there is certainly sun code... for example here's the copyright
bit in a file:

/*
 * xdr.c, Generic XDR routines implementation.
 *
 * Copyright (C) 1984, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
 *
 * These are the "generic" xdr routines used to serialize and de-serialize
 * most common data items.  See xdr.h for more info on the interface to
 * xdr.
 */

% egrep -ril 'sun microsystems' *
h/des.h
h/dnlc.h
nfs/nfs_server.c
nfs/nfs_vfsops.c
nfs/nfs_vnodeops.c
rpc/auth.h
rpc/authunix_prot.c
rpc/auth_kern.c
rpc/auth_none.c
rpc/auth_unix.c
rpc/auth_unix.h
rpc/clnt.h
rpc/clnt_kudp.c
rpc/clnt_perror.c
rpc/clnt_raw.c
rpc/clnt_simple.c
rpc/clnt_tcp.c
rpc/clnt_udp.c
rpc/kudp_fastsend.c
rpc/pmap_clnt.c
rpc/pmap_clnt.h
rpc/pmap_getmaps.c
rpc/pmap_getport.c
rpc/pmap_prot.c
rpc/pmap_prot.h
rpc/pmap_rmt.c
rpc/rpc.h
rpc/rpc_msg.h
rpc/rpc_prot.c
rpc/subr_kudp.c
rpc/svc.c
rpc/svc.h
rpc/svc_auth.c
rpc/svc_auth.h
rpc/svc_auth_unix.c
rpc/svc_kudp.c
rpc/svc_raw.c
rpc/svc_simple.c
rpc/svc_tcp.c
rpc/svc_udp.c
rpc/xdr.c
rpc/xdr.h
rpc/xdr_array.c
rpc/xdr_float.c
rpc/xdr_mbuf.c
rpc/xdr_mem.c
rpc/xdr_rec.c
rpc/xdr_reference.c
rpc/xdr_stdio.c
sys/heap_kmem.c
sys/vfs_dnlc.c
ufs/quota.c
ufs/quota_syscalls.c
ufs/quota_ufs.c
ufs/ufs_dir.c

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 5:14 AM, Aharon Robbins <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 00:53:07 -0400
>> From: Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com>
>> To: tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
>> Subject: [TUHS] Uwisc4.3 question...
>>
>> I went ahead and downloaded this [
>> http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/4BSD/Distributions/thirdparty/UWisc4.3/ ],
>> made up some tape images and installed it on SIMH...  And what I found
>> is that as far as I can tell there is *NO* information about this
>> thing..
>>
>> All I can find is that it includes the vfs layer from SunOS and it's
>> NFS...  It looks like beta software from the root user being "The Not
>> Ready for Prime Time Super User".
>
> Does the code actually say "Sun Microsystems"?  If not, then this might have
> been the VFS and NFS stuff that got folded back into BSD Reno.
>
> I think there were other schools that ran this. At the same time
> as this entry (1989) I was a sysadmin in the computing center
> of Emory University and we were running Mt. Xinu's mixture of
> 4.3 BSD with NFS from Sun, and then later their commercial Unix
> on Vax 11/780s, and starting to move to Sparcs running SunOS 4.0.
One of the uni's I went to made that transition in the mid 90's.. At
that time I didn't realize how many 'upgrades' they had made to Ultrix
to make it... usable.  Although I don't think I miss archie/veronica
but the simplicity of pine/lynx is kind of there.. oh sure they still
run on 'modern' things but it isn't the same really.

> The comp. center preferred having a vendor with whom there could be
> a support contract - IIRC then otherwise we probably would have
> been running this too.
>
> Ah, those were the days, when men were real men, and computers
> were vaxen. :-)
>
>> FWIW here is the UUCP entry I found...
>> ------
>> #N    eedsp
>> #S    Vax 11/780; 4.3+NFS Wisconsin Unix
>> #O    School of Electrical Engineering
>> #C    Deborah J. Jackson
>> #E    gt-eedsp!deb
>> #T    +1 404 894 3058
>> #P    School of EE, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA, 30332
>> #L    84 23 43 W / 33 46 30 N
>> #W    eedsp!deb (Deb Jackson); Wed Jul 19 11:35:13 EDT 1989
>> ------
>
> I knew Deb Jackson and worked with her a little when we were both at GT
> (I was in Information and Computer Science, not EE) and then a lot when
> I suggested that the start-up company I was at hire her (which they
> did). I've not seen her in around 18 years, nor do I know where she is
> now, although presumably she's still in Atlanta somewhere.
>
> Arnold

It's funny the weird things that get left around the internet... and
the host file from that tape image is MASSIVE.. lol and I thought
having a DNS zone with that many enteries was crazy...  I did manage
to hack the networking for it to work... It's not elegant, but
commenting out the error checking in if_de's derecv procedure seems to
work... I could ping around for the last 5 hours, and telnet into it.
I'll have to build some package with simh to run it on windows...