[TUHS] UNIX turns forty

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed May 20 01:12:41 AEST 2009

In message: <46b366130905182313l1dc757cdr47449749da930efe at mail.gmail.com>
            Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com> writes:
: I kind of figured that's why the PDP-11 & z8000 sys3 stuff up &
: disappeared...   Although I have to wonder, as someone who paid SCO
: (Old sco I think) the $100 for an ancient unix license, what did it
: cover again?
:
: It was sooooo long ago..  But I'm guessing it was research 1-7 & 32v...?
:
: Wait I see what it covered in here:
:
: http://minnie.tuhs.org/Seminars/Saving_Unix/
:
: While i'd love to have some kind of sysv for a vax (even the 780 which
: simh can run...) I would suspect the license cost would simply be
: astronomical... lol it'd be probably more feasable to port Solaris 10
: to the 11/780... (yes I'm kidding!).

NetBSD should work on vax :)

: There is also a wealth of information on googles "groups" with
: information from the 1980's taken from usenet backup tapes, it would
: be 'neat' to have them online in some kind of NNTP server that tin or
: pine could actually read... So you could browse this massive
: 'database' of unix knowledge from an ancient unix (well one that has
: either local news with all the google groups, or a TCP enabled
: unix...)

Google kinda did this with dejanews.  Some love it, most tolerate
it...

Warner

: Anyways I can tell I'm rambling, and the cat is jumping on the
: keyboard so I'm off to bed.
: