[TUHS] SYSV & TCP/IP on the VAX...

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Wed May 27 09:59:05 AEST 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 07:57:01PM -0400, Jason Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at bitmover.com> wrote:
> > I added TCP/IP to SCO which is some sort of sys v thing (I think, it's
> > been a lot of years).  I think Lachman (where I was working at the
> > time) did a lot of streams based TCP/IP, they may have done one for
> > the vax.
>
> I've seen lots of sco stuff say it's SYSV... like Xenix 2.3.4 ... So I
> guess it's not outside of that realm.  It's too bad SCO never did
> bundle the dev kit & networking or that Linux thing probably never
> would have gained commercial traction.. but then that's just my wild
> guess.

I doubt it - we (bitkeeper folks) still support sco and it sucks.  It's
like time stood still and nothing was added.

> > But why would you want it?  It was a steaming pile of sh*t.
>
> Morbid curiosity I guess... seeing as it's basically all but dead.  I
> guess the SYSV stuff we ran on the 3B2's was more modern, and 'usable'
> just as SYSVr3 (AIX) certainly was/is.

The 3b2's were ok.  I liked the ATT Unix PC, 3b1 (?).  My roomate and
I in college both bought those and did a lot of hacking on them.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com