[TUHS] DMR's page offline...

Seth Morabito sethm at loomcom.com
Wed May 27 14:25:59 AEST 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if it's worth mentioning...
>
> but it looks like Dennis Ritchie's page is down....
>
> http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/
>
> At least there is the wayback machine
> http://web.archive.org/web/20070930200555/http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/

Sadly, the Wayback Machine is now not serving up the page either:

"We're sorry, access to http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/  has been
blocked by the site owner via robots.txt."

Indeed, the host's robots.txt file has this entry in it toward the bottom:

Disallow: /

so I assume that the site has been re-scraped since coming back up,
and is now no longer made available by the Internet Archive, according
to their stated policy on robots.txt exclusions.

Just an oversight, I'm sure, but it shows off the fragility of
information on the web.  You cannot trust the Internet Archive to make
information publicly available forever.

-Seth