[TUHS] Modern BSD system? (was: How good a representative of System V is Solaris)

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Sat May 30 19:29:54 AEST 2009

On 30 May 2009, at 06:01, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> I won't argue the Solaris comparison, though I'm sure people could,
> but certainly Mac OS X is not a good example of modern BSD.  The
> kernel has very little BSD in it.  Look at FreeBSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD
> for that.

I was really thinking in terms of userland (I don't spend much time
poking around at kernels...).  You could still argue that OS X is not
a good example of a modern BSD userland of course - I don't spend
enough time with *BSD to really know what they are like, other than
that, for the most part, everything has been replaced by GNU versions
of itself in all of these systems :-).  i guess OS X is kind of like
what I would have hoped a BSD might turn into in some sense.

--tim