[TUHS] Modern BSD system?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun May 31 03:01:47 AEST 2009

In message: <20090530050137.GE58587 at dereel.lemis.com>
            "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at lemis.com> writes:
: On Friday, 29 May 2009 at 14:08:19 +0100, Tim Bradshaw wrote:
: > If you want to know what a *modern* System V or BSD is like then,
: > sure, look at Solaris or OS X.
:
: I won't argue the Solaris comparison, though I'm sure people could,
: but certainly Mac OS X is not a good example of modern BSD.  The
: kernel has very little BSD in it.  Look at FreeBSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD
: for that.

There's more BSD in the Mac OS X kernel than you might think, at least
judging from the stream of patches that come back into FreeBSD.  They
use BSD networking, and FreeBSD's 802.11 stack, for example.  Some of
the file system code is also from BSD.  Darwin is a classic example of
what one can do when one doesn't care where one gets one's code from.
This has both pluses and minuses...

Warner