[TUHS] 386BSD on Bochs & Qemu...

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Sun Apr 25 06:59:18 AEST 2010

Jason Stevens <neozeed at gmail.com> writes:

> IMHO the linux thing just released so often, it was a lot of work to
> keep up with (which really hasn't changed) and the BSD stuff was so
> ivory tower, of we'll release when it's ready but the world just
> wouldn't wait.

It was certainly that way with 386BSD.  Jolitz released 0.0, and a lot
of us made improvements.  Then he released 0.1, with none of our
improvements at all in it.  We pulled up all our fixes, and made more.
Then he released 0.2, still with nothing from the net included.  That's
when NetBSD was born.  (FreeBSD forked off later, due to disagreements
over whether to concentrate on Intel processors (the FreeBSD crowd), or
stick to the multi-platform approach (NetBSD).)

-tih
--
Self documenting code isn't. User application constraints don't. --Ed Prochak