[TUHS] 386BSD on Bochs & Qemu...

Jason Stevens neozeed at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 04:06:49 AEST 2010

I don't have the 1.0 BSD cd... At the time I was too wrapped up in Linux,
and I just
didn't realize the linage of the BSD of the time... (well that and I was a
BBS user
and they had SLS Linux to download, no BSD for some reason.... And all the
unix people on campus did their best to discourage people from getting
BSD..)

Anyways I have bought the 'basic kernel source secrets' book but it didn't
come
with a CD... I kind of recall it being expensive...?

IMHO the linux thing just released so often, it was a lot of work to keep up
with
(which really hasn't changed) and the BSD stuff was so ivory tower, of we'll
release
when it's ready but the world just wouldn't wait.  Which is a shame, as
seeing
how even 386BSD 0.1 had full TCP/IP while us linux people were trying to get
something like 32v running... Linux was so far behind back then but the
constant
releases made it feel far more alive....

Ok, that's enough of a rant.. ;)

After looking around at the various sites operated by the Jolitz's I found
this one:

http://collectables.jolix.com/

<http://collectables.jolix.com/>This is the best one I could find, and they
don't have any CD's for sale....

I've been building some stuff for 386BSD but the one thing that seems to
be lost to time is the old xfree86 1.X releases...