[TUHS] 386BSD on Bochs & Qemu...

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Mon Apr 26 17:03:33 AEST 2010

FWLIW, I also bought a copy, way back when, and I've just made an unencumbered
version, containing only the 386BSD binaries, the 386BSD source trees, and
the manuals.

It contains only the BSD-copyright material; everything else appears to be Dr
Dobbs-copyrighted, thus off-limits; but I'll upload the tar.bz2 file (2MB) if
people feel it's needed.

I did at one stage sanitize the MS .hlp file documentation, turning it into
ASCII with MS-DOS cr/lf, but I threw that away at some stage.

Again, FWLIW, the CDROM wouldn't boot on my hardware when I bought it, and I
couldn't access the source - without putting some thought into it.  I
eventually did, and copied it to my Linux machine.

Anyone interested?  Warren?  (I did think of attaching it to this email, but
figured out that was unfriendly and would lead to tears, so I didn't ... :)

Wesley Parish

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Saturday, 24 April 2010 at 16:28:41 +0200, Jacob Goense wrote:
> >> I don't know if this is interesting to anyone, but I thought I'd share
> >> that 386BSD will install on Bochs (although slowly, and it's prone to
> >> crashing), however once the first patchkit is installed, it'll then run
> >> on Qemu! (0.11.0, it seems the new bios layout of 0.12 is incompatible)
> >
> > Yes, I think it is very interesting to see what BSD was like on an x86
> > around the time of the forks into Net- and FreeBSD. You can feel the
> > itch to roll your own xBSD when messing around with it.
> >
> > It got me curious about where 386BSD ended though. Did anyone save
> > the 386BSD Reference CD-ROM Release 1.0 from /dev/null?
>
> Yes, I have a copy.  It was pretty much useless.  All the
> documentation was in some Microsoft format, and I couldn't read it.
> Unfortunately Dr Dobbs has a copyright on it, or I could upload it for
> the curious.
>
> Greg
> --
> Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.
> This message is digitally signed.  See
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/email/signed-mail.php for more details.
> If your Microsoft MUA reports problems, please read
> http://tinyurl.com/broken-mua

-----
George Kelischek - "To impress those high-tech computer types,
tell them what an Ocarina really is:
an animal-activated-solid-state-multi-frequency-sound-synthesizer."
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?